Friday, July 1, 2011

Curry-tastic

My stampin' upline and genuinely awesome friend Heather made me the BEST birthday card. She die-cut 30 huge cupcakes and made them into a great big accordion card. Well, it's her birthday next week and after some deliberating, I decided not to try to compete with that level of fabulousness. I have, however, made my favourite card to date!

Heather is one of those people (like me I guess) who would give you the shirt off her back. She was sorting her ribbon out the other day and gave me tonnes of polka-dot grosgrain ribbon, as well as a load of cardstock in Crushed Curry, Dusty Durango and Bermuda Bay. Well, she told me she hated the ribbon and the colour Crushed Curry.

I guess I am a naughty friend, but I chose to use Crushed Curry as the predominant colour on her birthday card, paired with the Bermuda Bay polka dot ribbon. I made one concession - the base of the card is Crumb Cake which is her fave. Anyway, I am so chuffed with how this card turned out.

I stamped on Whisper White lots of the flower stamp from the set "Punch Potpourri" (retired Hostess set). I used Crushed Curry, Daffodil Delight and So Saffron just to give some depth. Then I punched those out, and did a few more flowers on CC and SS cardstock. I stamped the sentiment (from Swirls and Curls Verses - Summer Mini L1 Hostess) in Bermuda Bay. I coloured the balloons in yellow.

I punched the edges of the WW cardstock with the Scallop Trim punch but needn't have bothered. Matted it onto Crumb Cake and punched holes with the larger Crop-a-dile hole punch. Set that aside, then ran a border embossing folder through the Cuttlebug to give a bit of texture. I cut a 3" strip of Daffodil Delight patterned paper and set that between the embossed edges. Then I stuck my sentiment piece on using Dimensionals, and tied the ribbon using a bit of white linen thread. Matted the Whisper White piece onto Bermuda Bay textured cardstock and onto a 5x5" Crumb Cake card base.

Then the fun bit - sticking all the flowers on! Some were stuck on using dimensionals, but most were just glued on any which way. I put a few diamantes on and a bit of sparkly gel pen on a few other flower centres, and voila!

Inside the card is another Whisper White piece matted onto Bermuda Bay, with a load more flowers just for fun. It's actually the first time I've decorated the inside of my card as well as the outside and I love how it turned out, so I will be doing it more often!

Here's hoping she likes it!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment